Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Blog Post #10

Back to School


This video made me think about the meanings of teaching and educating. As the video showed us there are many different ways to define both terms. To teach is always described as you doing something to cause someone else to learn. To educate is like you being there for the student not only teaching them one subject but giving advise and guiding them along their journey letting them open their eyes to different views.
I really like the quote that was used in this video by Peter Brougham-- " Education makes people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern but impossible to enslave." -Peter Brougham.
This quote says that Education makes the person who they are, so if they have a someone who teaches them and not educates that makes the difference in who that student becomes and what they do with their life. I became an education major to make a difference in many lives whether it be the students I have in my class, their parents or others in the community. I want to be the reason they love school and they are excelling because they are engaged in the material and are understanding what they are doing.

Hangman learning game


This is a great article and I am glad that we got to read this blog. I believe Mr. Johnson is right and more often than not teachers fight the problem rather that finding the solutions. Yes, a pencil can be used as entertainment but if teachers were keeping their students engaged with what they are teaching "pencils" wouldn't be the issue of low scores on standardized tests. I think teachers need to stop trying to control what goes on outside of their classrooms and worry about what could keep the students attention. If the teachers are worried about why their students aren't doing the homework assigned they might want to change that up as well and make sure it is keeping the students entertained and engaged in the material. Although, I think writing to a pen pal and playing Hangman is a way of learning also.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly!
    I also loved the article by Mr. Spencer. I agree with the thought that teachers should try to keep their students entertained and engaged in the material. The use of story and pencils to talk about the integration of technology/computers into classrooms makes the blog entertaining for us to read.
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete